Hobart is a creative city that is a great place for artists to work.
Hobart’s creative character can be easily seen in public areas and streets throughout the city.
All residents and visitors to Hobart are encouraged to enjoy the arts, regardless of financial means.
There are lots of creative things happening in Hobart, but we can do even more.
- I support nominating Hobart as a UNESCO City of Literature to capitalise on our rich literary traditions and our vibrant contemporary writing and reading culture.
- Council has an important role to play in supporting new and emerging arts and artists. I will advocate to:
- continue and expand our public art funding and grant programs
- establish incentives for the development of affordable work spaces for artists,
- for artists’ to work in a broader range of the Council’s projects, programs and services and
- find opportunities to have public art projects conditioned into major developments.
- I will show strong support for cultural activities with minimal impacts, such as allowing a performance, festival or public talk to take place with rules being as flexible as possible, while taking into account potential noise impacts on local residents.