Hobart is confident, creative and inspiring capital city that is thriving economically with a diverse economy and has jobs in a range of sectors and increasing average salaries.
Hobart has brain gain, not brain drain – a city where local people stay or return to and where qualified, creative people are drawn to Hobart by career, cultural and lifestyle opportunities.
In this term I will work to promote economic development in Hobart that:
- Builds on Hobart’s ‘Clean, Green Brand’ to attract national and international businesses with green operations and products to the city.
- Attracts national and international non-government organisations to establish offices in the city.
- Supports and expands Hobart role as a global centre for Antarctic, ocean and climate science and research.
- Supports small businesses and retailers.
- Aims to grow Hobart as a centre for small start-ups and as a city that supports full-time artists.
- Focuses on Hobart being a boutique destination rather than a city for mass tourism.
- Promotes Hobart as a city of learning for students to live and learn.