Hobart Council is an ally for members of our community who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI), and stands against all forms of LGBTI phobic discrimination and behavior.
As leader of the Council, I will promote a culture of fostering respect and celebrating diversity with:
- Requesting to re-form the Council’s LGBTI advisory group,
- Advocate for public displays and recognition to help increase the visibility of and awareness of our LGBTI community members, including information for visitors such as a history walk, and plaques in key locations.
- Host a mayoral reception and fly the rainbow flag to recognise International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia,
- Continue to fly the rainbow flag during Pride Week and the transgender flag on International Transgender Day of Visibility,
- Advocate to ensure the Hobart City Council culture embraces and supports diversity in the workplace including professional development for Council staff in LGBTI issues.